TO ALL MEMBERS APPLYING OR SOUTH DAKOTA HIGH SCHOOL RODEO MEMBERSHIP:
Linked below you will find the new membership forms for the 2016-2017 NHSRA season. If you want to become a member of South Dakota High School Rodeo and the National organization you need to do the following steps:
- Use the Adobe Acrobat Print Button to print copies of both the NHSRA member form and minor release (2 pages) and the South Dakota High School Rodeo Association application form (1 page). Here is an example of a completed form if you have any questions. Completed membership forms.
- Fill out the NHSRA form (boot logo) completely (both pages). Both parents and member must sign! EVERY PERSON SIGNS THE FORM TWICE! The release form must indicate WHY if only one parent signs. (EX. Full Custody). You may copy this form for parent living in different location and mail in with first application. Have the form notarized by personally appearing before the notary. Make sure that the notary lists all three people on the “personally appeared before me” line (both parents and member). The original is sent to me and then on to the National Office.
- Fill out the South Dakota High School Rodeo Association application form. Remember to indicate which region. This is the form that your principal needs to sign saying that you are passing 70% of classes taking to be eligible to compete. You will need an official, final year-end report card before you compete at regionals in the spring. MEMBER MUST SIGN THIS FORM ALSO
- Home Schooled students must also send in a copy of the Application For Public School Exemption Certificate SDCL 13-27-3 that all home schooled students in SD are required to have on file with the school district they would otherwise be attending.
- Include a money order OR cashiers check for the amount of $147.00 payable to SDHSRA. This includes $23 SDHSRA Membership; $33 NHSRA dues; $15 for NHSRA Times; $2 for the Western Horseman Subscription and $74 for medical insurance. The insurance is mandatory.
- Mail the NHSRA form, SDHSRA application, report card and money order to:
*I encourage you to send your application certified, priority or with tracking if using USPS, so you have proof of mailing.
The deadline for your memberships this year is November 1, 2016. Late application fees...
*** South Dakota High School Rodeo Association follows the National Rule Book that states “A contestant living and going to school in a State/Province, which has a High School Rodeo Association, must compete in that State/Province Finals.” In order to High School Rodeo in South Dakota, the student must either a) Physically live in South Dakota or b) Attend High School in South Dakota. South Dakota does not accept out of state transfers into the state unless one of these two criteria are met. adopted 9/2003
- Once your membership information is received and processed, you will receive a letter and membership card. I only receive one of these cards for each number, so DO NOT lose it. You will need to print the following information off to complete your membership packet, this is your responsibility.
There is one Horse of the Year form for both JH and HS members- they can distinguish their affiliation by circling the correct division in the middle of the form. The horse must be currently registered AQHA and the owner of the horse must also be a current member of AQHA. The contestant nominating the horse must also be a member of AQHA and there is information on the second page regarding how easy and inexpensive it is to become or renew a membership.
The relationship of the horses’ owner to the contestant has changed; the horse owner and contestant do not necessarily have to be related anymore, but the contestant MUST inform the state secretary that the horse they have nominated is the one they will be using for the event(s) they have declared with our office. I will continue to provide the state secretary with the information we have received from contestants for their state/provincial finals.
Everything must be received in the NHSRA office by March 1st, 2017. We will not honor “postmarked by
March 1st, 2017”. Late entries will not be accepted and there are no exceptions.
The deadline is March 1, 2017.